Friday, May 30, 2014

Technology in the Art Room

Students using the ChromeBooks in Art

One of my goals this year was to incorporate more technology into the art room. New technologies make teaching art and learning art a whole new experience. Students become more engaged, and feel they have more success with their art projects. I am fortunate to have a document camera and projector in my room. The days of transitioning to another table to do demonstrations have long past, instead the students may stay in their seats and watch me demonstrate on the projector in front of the classroom. I use this process every single day, and have found it to be so helpful.

Today, the IPAD has also revolutionized the learning experience. Many of my students have their own portable devices that they bring along with them to class. We also have several sets of Chromebooks that we can reserve for a class period.  Every class has different rules and expectations for these devices, however I feel it benefits their learning process. Students use the devices to search for ideas they can use, quotes, and sometimes just to listen to music quietly while they work. The addition of these technologies allows the student to become more engaged, as well as an active participant in the creative learning.

In a survey I did with my middle school students 82% of my students said that technology helped them learn better in the art room. 75% said they felt that technology made them feel more successful in their art projects. This has become my mission to incorporate new technology in the Art room and to stay up to date on what is out there. It is an exciting time for learning in the art room!

No comments:

Post a Comment